Monday, May 21, 2012

we lived.


Good news: we survived our home stay! In fact, Sunday as DJ drove back to the campsite (we borrowed one of our teachers cars), I felt almost sad. I enjoyed living in a house with a toilet close, the African hospitality, yummy food, and Mama and Baba Mchungaji and family.
We had more dala dala experiences this week getting into town. To give a detailed description of a dala dala, picture for yourself a tiny, rattly mini-bus with scrunch sitting room for about 18 people including the driver, and then put 5 or 10 more standing. Yep, T.I.A!
Tricia made cinnamon rolls for the family, so Thursday we went to town. We met up with Mama at the hospital after shopping. I admit to being skeptical. I found myself fearing getting sick and praying that God would keep me healthy. We waited outside and then poured into the hospital. We were going to see a mama and her newborn! What a shock though. Bed’s lined the walls with a path to walk between. Bed numbers on the walls. Concrete half walls were placed between every few beds, but I still found the lack of privacy appalling. If I’d just had a baby I wouldn’t want to see all the other mama’s who’d just had babies also all of the time! We gathered around the bed, and the little sleeping bundle of cuteness was passed around. I even got in on the action and enjoyed gazing at her beautiful little face accentuated by her tiny pink hat with a pompom top. I did feel a little strange being one of the only white people in the room holding the baby.
After we left, we went to the market with Mama and her friends, and one of them, a short African-built mama, held hands with me. I felt a mix of enjoyment from holding hands, and awkwardness. She was sweet though! On Friday we went to lunch at Mama and Baba’s daughter, Adder’s, house. The food, as usual, tasted wonderful and we got to watch a DVD of some of her pre-wedding events (she just got married in February). We never made it to the wedding. Wow, American weddings are quite subdued compared to African ones. Ahh, I love cultural diversities! Adder walked with us as we walked to catch a dala dala. We got to hold hands too. J
Saturday we climbed a mountain. Now, there’s a reason that they made pants for women, and I think this could be one of them. But, duty called once more and us ladies were in skirts. Thank you, Avery, for suggesting that I wear something under mine. Leggings were quite warm and the day a bit warm, but the hike proved much need for them. The dirt trail was steep, plant-ish, scattered with leaves in spots, and thankfully there was a big rock here and there to help stabilize us sometimes. Think of a trail in T.I.A. terms, not American terms.
Once almost to the top, us ladies needed man help to actually reach the top since the top was a giant rock. Idi – a teenage boy who lives with Mama and Baba, not sure his relation – basically pulled me up. Once up the round-about view was incredible. Iringa town and suburbs were sprinkled with houses and beyond them, mountains. My fear of heights showed itself on this rock, and I had to still my breathing more than once. Before we even climbed the mountain, I thought to myself – we’re gonna die! But you know what? We didn’t! Thank you Lord. I did do a bit of screaming as DJ helped me back down after the big rock. I love thrills, but safe thrills. I wouldn’t exactly call this one ‘safe’. Water, Fanta, lunch and a cold shower refreshed me after. I’m so grateful for the experience!
We got to give gifts to the family that night. It’s tradition to give kitange (fabric) as a gift to remember special occasions. Tricia sweetly bought kitange for all five of us ladies, including Sasi, Mama and Baba’s sweet fifteen year old niece that lives with them. What a pleasure to get in on an African tradition!
This Sunday we went to the later church service – Kiswahili only – and a sweet mama’s translated for me. It was going well. Baba preached on God’s will, something I’ve been thinking a lot about and even started studying out in my Bible. Perfect timing! Then Baba started preaching on how it’s not God’s will for us to be poor. God wants believers to be rich. Hello prosperity gospel! I had trouble keeping a pleasant face as he continued on this subject and on to how it’s God’s will for us to be healthy and not sick. Hum…. Add to all this that Baba’s voice got quite loud on multiple occasions. I felt like covering my ears and crying.
We said our goodbyes, and headed off to get ourselves some lunch. We’d heard rave reviews about a Greek restaurant in town and after a phone call to a friend, we found it and discovered why it had raving reviews. Quiet. Quaint. And amazing food! The owner was a sweet lady with a pleasant Greek accent. We enjoyed lunch on the porch, and DJ sweetly told us since we’d all had great attitudes this week, we could order dessert. THANK YOU SIR! Brownies drizzled with chocolate and strawberries and whip cream. I am a fan!
I’ve been thinking for quite some time since being here that I think I’d like Europe to be my next abroad destination. Now I just need to find a honey with money and I’ll make the time! J
Sunday night I learned that there’s a snake that looks like a twig. Oh great! There’s lots of twigs in the woods on the way to my banda. Then I saw a leaf that I thought was a mouse. To top it all off, I was closing one of my curtains in my house, and a GIANT spider scampered out. It scared half a cuss word out of me. I called Tricia and had to still my breathing as the phone rang. DJ answered for her and him and Garrett came to my rescue. I stood frozen in the middle of my room for a bit, scared to go closer to where he was. By the time I remembered and grabbed my camera to try to take a picture, they were here and getting down to business. Back to my post giant spider ritual of praying, the Psalms, and my classical music!
Thanks Jesus for…
*       Such an amazing chance to learn more about African life and traditions
*       Finding that my dread was really quite over-kill
*       Yummy food and lots of fruit and chai all week long!
*       That we didn’t die on the mountain
*       Enjoying a mystery novel – even if was missing pages 53-74 J
*       My Bible Study chapter on humbleness… I love new perspectives – humbleness is submitting to others. Amen!
*       A chance to enjoy our last three weeks in Iringa
*       Oh! And the rains are over, yippee! Here comes the cold…

No comments:

Post a Comment