Wednesday, July 4, 2012

the finale.


     “And my God will supply every nee of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
     Five days. Until I pack my suitcases. Until – possibly tearfully – I give goodbye hugs to my sweet Morrisons. Until I set foot on a plane bound for Amsterdam and attempt to stay awake for ten hours so that I hopefully adjust to the ten hour time difference between Africa and home easier. Six days. Until I set foot on another plane after almost being in Europe and attempt to sleep to help myself adjust to the time difference. Until I, Lord willing, make it through customs with all my goodies from Africa. Until I fall into the arms of the people dearest to me who I haven’t seen in six months.
     It’s a good thing my time here is almost complete. My hard drive is filled UP. Seriously, I have about ten gigabytes of free space left. That’s what I get for taking so many stinking pictures! But, I regret it not one bit. This may be my one and only time in Africa. Since they say a picture is worth a thousand words, then I guess I have thousands upon THOUSANDS of words about Africa. Yes!!! My trip shall live on in my memory, not to mention my photo albums. J
     Tricia boarded a plane bound for Turkey and then Holland last week. She had a lovely and busy time with her friends and saw them successfully married. And since she was gone, it was up to me to be the cook. So, I donned my apron and went to work. And you know what? Nobody died or got really ill (that I know of!). I discovered that for all laziness in cooking the past 21 years, I can do alright. Avy was my little helper too J
     Last Tuesday, the day dawned bright and stayed that way. About ten in the morning, I climbed onto a boat bound for an island with the Ellises and their friends. The boat was small, covered, and wooden with a motor. As I disembarked from the boat, the tide came rushing in, stealing away my sandal. I feared it gone forever. But a moment later it appeared just a bit away from the boat. I scurried after it and caught it just in time. That was a close one!
     The island was secluded and covered with these cute wispy baby pine trees that shed needles and little pinecones. We made ourselves at home in a little covered banda, played on the beach, and soaked up the sun. I got to work on my tan. Read my book. Enjoy taking pictures of the gorgeous day. The other family we were with had three kids, two boys and a girl. The little girl, Julia, was four and a sweet social butterfly. We became fast friends even before we left for the island. She asked me to play in the water with her, and we even dug sand holes. For lunch we indulged in fish caught fresh that day and chips. What deliciousness. I ate the whole fish!
     Due to the small size of the island, I’m not sure if there were public toilets or not. Our toilet was someone holding a grass mat and then you squatting in the sand underneath the pines. Good thing sand is absorbent!
     I have a confession: I am a sucker. For shells. And this island was like the supermall of all places to find them. I limited myself to just a few. But I didn’t ‘limit’ myself as much in January in Mozambique. So, I’m bringing home lots of shells from the Indian Ocean! They’re so beautiful and unique. The ones I found Tuesday are no exception. Browns and a yellow one and some coral too. There was a girl visiting the island who had found a baby hermit crab about the size of my pinky fingernail. It was the cutest thing. I got to hold it!
     When we came back from the island, the tide was out. The boat stopped and we were surprised to find out we were to walk. At least a couple hundred feet through knee-deep water to shore. Caleb, the one family’s nine year old boy, and I held hands and kept each other up. And it was a good thing I had shorts on under my dress or it would have been a sight to see for everyone who cared to look because up my dress came as I trudged through the sea!
     Wednesday was my Gramma and Grampa Foster ‘s(Bibi and Babu in Kiswahili J) 6oth wedding anniversary. Crazy to think that they’ve been married almost three times as long as I’ve been alive! That was also the day Garrett and I celebrated our birthdays. Our days aren’t until the 1st and 3rd of September, but since we’ll be 9,000 miles apart on those days, we had our party early. We drank Red Bulls and played Ticket to Ride: Europe. And you know what? Garrett beat me. By 14 points. And he’s turning 14! I had a blast playing with him, even if he did beat me!
     We enjoyed a few relaxing days over the weekend with our friends from language school, Mark and Laura. We had girls’ nights with popcorn and movies, the boys played rousing games of Risk, and Laura was great help in the kitchen. Us girls even made it to the Slipway, a huge tourist trap chock full of booths with all sorts of African goods. I spent money and got bargains.
     At Slipway, I bought things from an Indian man in a silver store. He was kind and I got things for a bit less than the original price. But, in the process of talking to him, I asked if he had ever been to the U.S. He said he hadn’t because he’s in his store seven days a week. “I have a thirst for money,” he told me. And it made me so sad that that’s what seems to drive him, that’s what he lives for. If you think of him, pray that he discovers that there’s something More to life!
     Monday, the kids and I were cooped up in the house most of the day. When DJ got home, he suggested a walk. Despite pleas from an 11 year old and a 13 year old, we went. We walked to the beach and went for a stroll. It wasn’t long enough (is it ever when you’re on the beach?). As I walk beside the water, I find peace and calm unlike any other. I don’t need to talk, and I can just think and talk to my Jesus. When we were off the beach, we headed down the road and straight to the ice cream man. DJ treated us all to ice cream. My ice cream bar was almost as good as Haugen Dauz. J
     DJ picked Tricia up from the airport in the middle of the night, and Tuesday morning was like Christmas, the goodie version. She’d brought the treasured Dutch treat that I can’t spell: two waffles smooshed together with caramel in the middle, Turkish delight, and chocolate. She sweetly brought me the cutest scarf from Turkey. After she showed it to me, she looked at the tag: made in China. Ha! Poor thing, she was so bummed. But no worries, I still love it!
     I think since I’ve been in Africa, I’ve seen Tricia every day. And when she left for Holland, I didn’t think it was that strange. But, when I saw her Tuesday morning, it was the weirdest thing.  After not seeing her for a week, to see her pretty face again took a second to adjust to. But it was a good adjustment! Mamas’ hold down the fort and bring a security that no one else really can. So, our house is back to its normal self now, whatever that is J
     Someone from Brazil gave Tricia perfume. When Avery let me smell it, I commented how nice it was. “I have a lotion for you,” Tricia told me. The lady gave her a lotion with the perfume, and she saved it, for me. Who does that? Tricia is one of the most amazing and thoughtful people I know. She’s very inspiring. It’s almost as if just being around her makes you a better person!
     God has been teaching me about giving these past months, especially as I go to leave. I another confession: I love clothes. I think there have been times I’ve thought about them too much. So as I go to leave and think about what clothes I’m leaving here, there are ones that I want to take, but some of them I sense I should leave here. After all, I do have lots of clothes at home and can pretty easily buy more whenever. I gave some to Laura one night, and her joy and excitement was totally worth all my bummed out-ness about not being able to wear the clothes anymore!
Thank you Jesus for…
o   A few more days to cherish, possibly for the first and last time, in Africa
o   Sacrificial giving
o   That all I have is really God’s and His to use for His purposes
o   That the power has been on during the nights and days for over a week now!
o   The joy of cooking
o   Chances to serve
o   The house to myself, once
o   Early birthday celebrations
o   Funny texts from my Mama
o   New scarves – one can’t have too many!
     Happy Independence Day to all of you in the U.S.! We’re celebrating too, minus the fireworks J See you on the other side, friends. I’m coming home to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment